Cycling over 11,000 miles from London to Australia, to raise £20,000 for Shelter. And because I hate airports...

Saturday, 30 April 2011

Greece


I took the boat across from Italy to Igoumenitsa in Greece. On board there was a large group of young Greeks who had been across to Italy to see Athens' 4th best water polo team (you've heard of them, surely?) play in the European final. They weren't able to get into the stadium, so they came back on the boat and had a party on the boat, dancing and singing to a fusion of traditional Greek music and trance.

I don't care what the rating agencies say - Greece gets a triple A from me. They are the friendliest, warmest people I've met so far, both on the boat and here in Inoumenia. They see me sitting on my own so instinctively invite me over.

These are oranges the size of a grapefruit.
I cycled from the port at Igoumenitsa to Inonia, and it was 100km of mountain climbing and descending. Truly wonderful cycling terrain. I seem to have picked up a non-fatal cycling injury from yesterday. There is a soreness and pain on the bones of my undercarriage/throne of prince albert/gucci - it's not saddle sore, however - so I'm taking it easy today before pressing on to Thessaloniki.

I've never been to Greece before, but I'm very glad to have done so. It's a mix of both bristling chaos and laid-back charm, and you get the sense that despite the economic collapse the Greeks aren't prepared to wallow in the situation the government and the banks have put them in. That said, I have yet to see either Athens or the second city, Thessaloniki, where the effects of high youth unemployment would be more evident.

Here's a few more photos from yesterday's road.

High up in the hills you come across tiny brick shacks which are Greek Orthodox dedications to the Virgin Mary. You find inside a small altar, bouquets of plastic flowers, and small parafin burners.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Ollie...Keep pedaling! Love sister A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sister - all ground to a halt at the moment with a suspected trapped nerve.

    ReplyDelete